Today is special because it's an overt and concerted celebration around the globe of the social, economic, political, and cultural achievements of women. It's a call to action for everyone to work harder, faster, stronger toward full gender parity throughout the globe. It's a rejection of the idea that gender parity is about 200 years away (according to a 2017 Gender Gap Report at the World Economic Forum) and an embrace of #pressforprogress, #timesup, and #metoo to get us there more quickly.
The truth is, every day is #internationalwomensday. There is a lot of #girlpower out there.
Today's celebration should serve as a reminder to anyone doing business or trying to get a message across in this world. That reminder is this: if you're not talking to women, you're doing it wrong.
Consider the following:
- Women control about $20 trillion in global spending. (Source: girlpowermarketing.com)
- Women control over 70% of all household spending in the U.S. (Source: Catalyst.org)
- Women control more than 60% of all personal wealth in the U.S.
- Women influence 80% of all car sales in the U.S. and are gaining on men in tech spending.
- Women are earning the majority of Doctoral and Masters degrees and with higher degrees, come higher pay.
The data continues to tip in favor of women and their power and the voices you are hearing are those of these powerful women. Starting paying attention.